Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Key West is a fun place.

I woke up at 7 ish to the sounds of Jason yelling at Boris the dog to get out inside or outside or God knows what.   His daughter Ava was getting ready for summer camp and was trying to figure out what to wear.  They were going back and forth about it like she was getting ready for a job interview, I dont know where she goes to summer camp but it sounds like they had an important day on the books.
I cant remember exactly what was going on.  It was way too early and I was half asleep on a small couch in their living room.  It takes me a few minutes and a cup of coffee to engage my brain most days.  I probably have the same IQ as shoelace until I get that cup of coffee.  The good news for the day is that my buddy Adam and Jason decided that they wanted to come with me down to the Keys.  Both of them have full time jobs and both of them had important things to do at work that day and the next.  The adventure I was on seemed to be more important to each of them then whatever needed to be done at the USCG Center of Expertise (Jason's job) or the largest jet fuel and gasoline tank farm (Adam's Job) in Florida.  I sure as hell wasn't going to argue with them as they were calling in excuses.   Jason actually went in to work and then decided that there was no place he'd rather be then feeding me booze the night before my trip starts sabotaging me from the get go.  He promptly left the office and came back to the house before I was able to get myself on the bike.

I got myself and the bike packed up and just as I'm pulling out of the driveway it starts raining.  Not cool at all.  Adam and Jason were sitting comfortably in a truck with a cooler full of goodies and enough candy snacks to choke a buffalo and I was completely soaked within the first 15 minutes of the 4hr ride to the keys.
Soaked while they enjoy AC and beverages

We made good time thru the rains.  It was after the morning rush hour and after we got out south of Miami I was really able to twist the heck out of that right grip.  On the way down we stopped a few times for a stretch, food and drinks.    There was nothing to rush about so we decided to enjoy the ride down.
Mandatory first stop 

There may or have not been a someone doing desk pops on a motorcycle while crossing the 7 mile bridge... Just a rumor.

We got a room on Duval St.  I desperately needed a shower to rinse off all the rain, highway dirty water spray from the roads and just general body odor.  I was only on the bike for about 5hrs in total that day but I was sore and smelly.  I can only imagine how this is going to start to wear on me. When I finally got the road juices rinsed off then we starting doing what we do best.

At some point at the very beginning of the ride down into the Keys we actually had a conversation that we would act like grown ups and only have dinner and a few drinks so that we could get to bed at a decent hour.  We all had legitimate reasons to get up early and a need to be functional.  They were going to race back to work in time for some work blahblahblah.  I ofcourse needed to actually start heading in the Northerly direction.   Imagine that.  NORTH finally.

After about 4 cocktails and a skate down Duval St. and around town we were in full rampage mode.  I'll let the pictures do the talking.
That scary looking chick in the background was much scarier looking in real life

There is this fantastic place with good appetizers* called the Red Garter.  Make sure you bring plenty of singles.

Photo and video montage of the shenanigans.   I wont give all the details about the night.  This is supposed to be about a bike ride after all.   At this point of the evening I think Adam was telling girls I was leaving for a trip up in the space shuttle tomorrow and they should all join us for drinks.

Is anyone actually reading this?

I think this is where it all started to get fuzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment